So, if we’re to be leading (it’s funny even hearing that word sometimes, isn’t it).
What does that look like?
How did Jesus lead when He was here on earth? – Here’s a few thoughts looking at Jesus’ life in the Bible.
1. He went away and prayed.
2. He encouraged.
3. He challenged – gave them opportunity to trust and follow. A fisherman? He didn’t go to seminary. He didn’t lead seminars in teaching and leadership. Walking on water?
4. Taught them to love – by demonstrating it.
5. It’s not the wise that you’re to go to, it’s the humble, those willing to learn.
6. It’s not about the money – and yet it’s all about the money – give it up and follow me
7. He invited people to come along. (Get ready for an adventure – God doesn’t promise comfort & safety. He promises an amazing adventure with Him.)
8. Replacing yourselves – Jesus had his closest disciples following Him. Learning from Him. Praying with Him. He knew He wasn’t going to be on earth forever, so he had to share & invest in people to keep telling His story.
9. Didn’t look for immediate results – Jesus took His time, and still does!
10. Didn’t expect perfection – if Jesus used people that made mistakes, why shouldn’t we? If not, none of us would be leading =)
We as leaders need to step up and do the same. How does this look? Invite someone to come along beside you. Who do you see that could (in 1 or 2 years) eventually take your spot? Invest in them. Check in on them. Show them what you’re doing. Ask for feedback and ideas….& listen! Share the vision with them. Pray for them. (I sense a whole ‘nother blog). Don’t expect immediate results. Don’t expect perfection.
What else do you see when you look at Jesus’ life. How did He lead?
Side Note : Remember that same Jesus, the ultimate leader, is alive today. Don’t just skip by that fact. Remember, Ask Him! He’s here!